3.07.2007

favorite ways to mellow out

these are listed in no particular order:

1) napping on the couch--it's not the greatest piece of furniture in the world, but my couch is somehow perfect when i need that black-out kind of nap
2) getting psychologized by steve or kim--two fantastic friends who have refreshingly practical views of the world; they ever so gently smack me up side the head when it's too far up in the clouds
3) working out at the gym--i could go on forever about fitness; it's been a part of my life since i was 3 or 4, and i've always found that it can be a most cathartic experience.
4) candle-lit bubble bath--it's just one of those things
5) playing with the dog--messing around with toby brings me back to very simple nature. i throw the ball, he runs and gets it and tries to tackle me upon returning the ball: uncomplicated fun. that's the best.
6) losing track of time as i play the piano--this is where i can really get lost in my own little world. my fingers get swept up in the motion of the melody and harmony, and they pretty much take over, drowning out the din of my surroundings.
7) cleaning the kitchen--there's something about an assertion of order in one of the more chaotic rooms in the apartment.
8) reading/napping by a body of water--i'm not a tanner. i don't go outside with the intent to bake. i slather myself in sunblock and stay in the shade if the sun is wicked. that said, there's something about natural light and warmth in combination with a breeze coming off the water that i find incredibly soothing. that's why i'm so excited to be living across from my complex's pool! awesome.
9) running--this is one of my favorite ways to see the world, and i don't restrict that phrase to discovering new locations. running is simple and democratic. it can simultaneously provide solitude and comraderie. when approached with the intent to enjoy, it brings peace of mind, phsyical strength, and mental endurance. one of my strongest memories of awe and relaxation is my run in culebra, puerto rico. i ran the length of the tiny island in 45 minutes, and it was the first time i'd ever seen anything close to tropical paradise. there's a lot more to that run, but for the sake of brevity, you'll just have to trust that it was breathtaking and life-changing.
10) writing--whether they're in my blog, a journal, a letter (sent or not), words transposed allow my mind to make sense of that which had been plaguing me. they represent a liberty from and produced by my own thoughts. that's a rather complicated part of me, but it is an irrefutable truth that writing is essential to who i am.

underlying almost all of these is music. por ejemplo, jurassic 5 "freedom" is playing as i write this post. "live and let die" and "body rock" accompany my workouts. i fall asleep listening to jazz on npr. i pretty much have some form of music on at all times. this might be a completely ludicrous hypothesis, but i imagine that, when my left brain tries to assert itself with an unusual urgency, the right side protests the stress and thus seeks any and all forms of expression. as music is the most immediately available, it has become integral to my everyday life.

"Yo, raise the level, bass bottom to treble

Forever keep it ghetto

Funk and heavy metal

Fuck the devil

Unify the rebel

Whistle like a kettle

With a fly acapello

Smooth and mellow

Locked load and settle

Shine through times with rhymes bright like yellow

Taste and swallow, lead and never follow

Break it like a bottle

Inspire like a role model"

--"i am somebody," jurassic 5

No comments: