4.16.2007

things that weigh on the mind

my mind has been a little preoccupied in the past few hours.

at lunch today, i learned that the father of one of my students had died. johnny's father had had cancer, and johnny was doing his best to be strong and stoic. but, it was fairly obvious that he was a different child once the diagnosis was made. all of my kids were saddened today by the news, and they're swinging into action with cards and everything. on a personal level, even though i wasn't johnny's favorite person by far, i still wish i could just give him a hug. that's not realistic for many reasons, of course, but the whole thing is just so sad.

after lunch, i'd read that somebody had been shot at virginia tech. when i got home, i was shocked by the update-- 32 dead, including the gunman. apparently, a number of the victims were killed in one classroom. 32 lives finished, just like that. when things like that happen at schools, including the shooting in the amish community this past fall, it makes me think of my kids. just picture a room full of the people you care most about, and then clear the room completely. they disappear. it's such a loathsome thought that i'm so thankful that all of my kids are healthy and with me almost every day.

there's nothing perfect to say about these things, if anything can be said at all...

No comments: