5.23.2006

runs and rebukes

so sunday was face-plant city, and yesterday was easy day with the tobster. today was all about solitude, and i did an easy 5 miler, my regular out & back on roland, easily my favorite route in the city. was out for all of ~47 min in very comfortable spring weather, and the time to myself was exactly what my body needed.

and then my spirit gets a strong talking to. i have not been honest and genuine with some people, and relationships have noticeably suffered, although we're all too nice to complain to each other. we don't want to hurt anybody's feelings. but, in the attempt to avoid any bloodshed, we get caught up in merely pretending with niceties. thanks to the counsel of a very astute phd student, i've realized what i need to do.

i need to pull my head out of my butt and have a true relationship. do we consider the other person's needs? do we consider other P.O.V.s? do we ask what we could do for them? do we treat them as well when we're not pleased as we do when we are?

so, if you're the person who knows that this is about you, i promise that i'm going to work harder. you, i AND our friendship deserve the best.

2 comments:

Wacky Neighbor said...

All is forgiven.

Oh, wait, you're not talking to me?

Oh, then it's on. It's ... on.

On.

Nick said...

Uh oh, wacky neighbor is gonna go all Samuel L. Jackson now.