6.26.2005

Hixson Reunion, Pt. I

Oh wow. Two straight days of Pennsylvania Dutch-ness. Wow.

Now, please don't think that I don't love my family, because I do. You just have to understand how special it is. We love each other so much that we can completely bust on each other when things get weird and silly. Take, for instance, "the program" at our reunion. I've been at these reunions since I was a baby, and every year, there is "the program," where one or five of the crazy little children get up and do a little talent show. Somebody does somersaults (sp?) from gymnastics, somebody plays suzuki violin, etc., etc. Well, now, there aren't many little kids at all to show off, so "the program" consists entirely of my great aunts sharing items with the family, and my great aunt Jenny*'s daughter and granddaughter doing a little act. Victoria* and little Michelle* do ventriloquism. And I have to admit that, for an 8 year old, Michelle* is pretty fantastic. But I digress. My cousins and I sat through ventriloquism. Another great aunt shared an article called "Remember When," as in "remember when our great aunt shared the same exact article the last year and for ten years before that..." While my grandmother was alive, she would sit on the sides with Rachel, Marc, Laura and me and completely make fun of my grandfather and his sisters. "Wilson, GET OFF THE STAGE!" We miss her. Anyway, Laura and I picked up that mantle yesterday, just hoping to high heaven that it would be over soon. I think "the program" lasted for almost an hour. Far too insane. My great aunts were lucky that there were ample amounts of great food to compensate. :) All kinds of great food--homemade, no fresh-bought from the grocery store, and no chance of being healthy at all. Excellent.

Today was also family oriented, as it was Laura's college graduation party, and that was fun. My cousins and I get along very well, and their spouses/affianced/significant others have survived the family hazing and now fit in quite seamlessly. And, even better, Rachel and Kevin brought Murphy, and Marc and Beth brought George. They had a blast with Toby. And I'm not talking about children. Murphy and George are dogs, a fat beagle and a hyperactive Boston terrier, respectively. Murphy is shorter than Toby but could have bowled him over because he's 50lbs, about 25lbs too heavy for a dog of his type. George is so short that he could walk underneath Toby (which he did) without having to duck his head much at all. There was all kinds of jumping and tackling and yipping and barking and licking going on. I did have to draw the line, however, when George started licking Toby in his boy area. Not pleasant at all. All said though, we had a good time. I think, however, that I'll really enjoy some time out with just my cousins and their S.O.s, without a huge group of aunts, uncles, third cousins twice removed, etc...

*Names have been changed so that my mother doesn't kick my ass... :)

No comments: