7.17.2007

a bike, a bike! my kingdom for a bike! oh, and some mileage too...

still no word on the bike front. still have some time though.

today i did my first swim/bike/run workout. i only did half the distances, just so that i wouldn't kill myself, but it turned out fine. my goal is to make sure that my body can be active for 3 straight hours because i'm estimating that that's the least amount of time i'll need to finish. today, i spent 1 hr, 15 min working out, broken down this way:

a) swim: 20 min (675m--race will be 1000m)
b) bike: 35 min (5-ish miles--race will be 14.5)
c) run: 20 min (1.7 miles--race will be 2.8)

today was the first day that the gym's pool was open, and i'm thrilled. two surprises: water was very chlorine-y, so it was pretty murky, and they hadn't set the temperature yet, so it was 70 degrees, if that. diving in was fairly odd; it certainly didn't feel like a real pool, and i had no concept of where the bottom was (10' deep, so i wasn't in danger of hitting my head or anything). i'd forgotten my goggles, so my eyes were closed (*contacts*), and it just felt... weird, a little disorienting even. but, all of that is actually good because the susquehanna river is not a hot spring. i'll be happy to not have to swim through an oil slick. but anyway. i alternated strokes, which was really helpful, and overall, i'm very pleased with the swim.

i expected to be tired on the bike but not as much as i was. more surprising, i didn't really recover much, even though i was taking it easy. it was the longest 35 minutes ever. bleh.

the run was far better, and i was taken aback when my second wind came then. i figured that, by then, my body would have had enough and would want to just stop. maybe it's because i was the most conservative there; i wanted to try to do the whole 20 minutes, instead of trying to be fast and crapping out at 10. also, maybe i was able to do it because i did give myself an out. i told myself that, if i start to feel shitty and/or achy and/or in pain, i will stop. i don't want to hurt myself trying to be a hero a month before the race. there's no need. knowing that i could step back if i needed to helped me slowly put one foot in front of the other.

all in all, it was probably one of the hardest workouts i've ever done because i haven't done anything like it. it hasn't made me feel the most awful, but the combination of disciplines and the constant (well, relatively) movement was quite challenging. that said, now that i've finished this one, i know that i can do another one. i am so excited for this triathlon!



now all i need is a bike...

No comments: