4.20.2006

dj question of the day

what is the farthest distance you've ever traveled for a date?

the morning show tidbit was about a young woman who had been introduced to a guy and, after that one meeting, flew to tokyo for their first date.

i had to think about this one, and at first i considered pensacola, fla to be my answer. but then i thought, "no, i'd already been dating the guy for about two years," so that didn't count. then it hit me. the farthest i'd traveled was from lebanon to philly. granted, that's only a two hour drive, but it was pretty damn interesting.

i met steve (the bastard, not the handy) at the end of my senior year at the state quiz bowl competition. because both of our teams had lost at the hands of my bitter rivals, there was much cause for commiseration. so steve and i talked quite a bit. later, both cedar crest and wc east were invited to nationals, and we relished watching manheim township get destroyed by some ridiculous team from california. much celebration ensued, and, as i'd been eyeing (sp?) steve that whole weekend, i now had an excuse to exchange email addresses. what better reason to get someone's digits than the utter crushing of a mutual enemy. (notice the drama inherent to quiz bowl...)

so the two of us chatted a lot, yada yada yada, emailing almost everyday over the course of the summer. we talked about everything, and conversation seemed to be getting a little more ... interesting. he came to hershey for a golf tournament, and we met for lunch. pretty fun. finally, in august, he invited me to glen mills, located very closely to my grandparents' house. SCORE! a night of ice cream and putt putt--it couldn't have been better. the two hour drive was seeming more and more worth it.

he took me back to my grandparents's house, and we sat on the porch. sun had just set, crickets chirping...very romantic. talking, talking, talking, and then out of nowhere, he asks, "where would you like 'this' to go?" gulp. i couldn't say anything. i was way too nervous because i really liked this guy. so after some silence, he said, "well, i'm glad we can be friends because i have to tell you about my fabulous girlfriend Ali."

the night went downhill from there. i kept it together, but it was really disingenuous of him to lead me on and then drop a huge bomb like that. surprisingly enough (or not), when Ali discovered his daily emails to me a few months later, she dumped him. And a few months after that, he professed his love for me, and i fell for it, and we ended up dating for about a year. and that was interesting.

so the 2 hour drive for a date was a total bust. that was the LAST time i ever did that.

now i'll just ride to raleigh and new jersey and meet a passel of family all at once. tell me that that's much smarter...

3 comments:

Wacky Neighbor said...

At the risk of commenting on something I shouldn't (but you're allowing comments on this post, so I guess you don't mind) ... I remember meeting that guy once and he was a jackass. Your backstory only confirms it.

Joey said...

THANK YOU!!! granted, it took me a year+ to realize that. and after he broke up with me, my entire family weighed in the issue, with the same opinion. friends shouldn't let friends date assholes.

:)

Nick said...

Very few good relationships have come from Quiz Bowl.
Competitive nerds can be jackasses.

I also like the idea of Steve the Handy. Very noble. Like WN the arithmatic, or Nick the Trivial.