12.27.2005

not so humbug anymore

as if i needed a reason to save some pennies... the only problem with the craft movement is that you've got to spend to get started. i would <3>to make my own jewelry, and i would <3 to make pillows, towels, etc., etc. i already <3 making scarves. did you notice that i <3 things? i <3 you too, you cutie.

;)

part of the craft-draw for me is how it connects me to grandma hixson. she died two years ago, and i miss her, but everytime i pick up my needles or wrap up in the blanket she knitted for me, i know she loves me. i think that's a major bonus of the wearable-crafts; we can wear the love of another person on our bodies. i greatly admire maria and her painstaking efforts to make the boys' costumes. they're too little to realize how much of her heart went into those fabric-y bluebirds, but i can appreciate that the feathers are not made just of felt.

maybe, when i finish my current project, i'll look into jewelry next. or, there's the option of embroidery. that seems very hard, but it could be good. detailed challenges tend to slow my sometimes manic brain. in other words, it's cheap therapy. maybe my sewing skills will somehow magically improve as well. to be able to measure accurately, cut, pin and sew a straight line, and to finish a real pattern?! i could make skirts or sheet sets or curtains or maybe even a dress! i'd be unstoppable!

baby steps, jo... baby steps.

No comments: