12.11.2005

trauma, boots and boogers

this past week was a little rough. grandpa passed out again, and he was put in the hospital. finally, he had to be sent to continuing nursing care, which is the name that most people give to a nursing home these days. the good thing is that it's more about rehabilitation now than permanent residence. the hope is that he'll get his strength back and be able to move into assisted living with grandma. it's been hard because it's really becoming evident that grandpa, while able to rebound, won't be able to be at his former strength. he just turned 87, and i find that i want him to be here forever. i'm not an idiot. but it's just really hard for me to give in, you know? all of my grandparents have been very influential on me, and i'm just SO used to them being here. we're all very, very close. how fortunate is that? he's such a blessing to me.

the day and visit didn't end on bad notes though. my nephews and niece are such bright lights in the family, and i learned that benicio, my younger nephew, has a brand new fascination: boogers. he's intrigued by the slimy texture that goops from his nose, and he went on several digging expeditions today.








the whole beatty clan was at our house today, and we got a great photo of my grandma w/ her grandkids and great-grandkids.

going clockwise, that's kristin holding manny, grandmom, jenna holding benici, maria, geoff holding clara, and me. it was a long day for my brother--that's why he looks like he's dozing. i also realized too late that i was channeling jay (jay & silent bob) with the hat and stick-straight hair...



one gripe that i had about today; my niece is more of a fashion plate than me. of course, it doesn't hurt that she has legions of doting relatives to buy her outfits and accessories... when did i lose that opportunity?


check the boots. are they not The Cutest Things You Have Ever Seen?! how not-fair is that? if you're pulling your hair out trying to figure out a gift for me, here's a hint: size 8 boots or shoes. i'm a sucker for red shoes...



so, the moral of today's story is: we can't be here forever, but we can cherish the even the gross, slimy little things that come from us, and our nieces will always be able to better accessorize than we can.

happy holidays, everybody!

No comments: